Do You Remember the 60s Slang?
sixties slang 60s slang 1960s
The 1960s era had some of its own slang where
some of these began in the 1960s era while others were just passed down. Some of these words
and phrases are still used by our kids and grandchildren. Many of these slang phrases are now part of the
dictionary with the slang meaning. Do you remember some of these 60s slang? If you can think of
anymore please email
me at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment in the Guestbook so I can include
them on the site. Enjoy!
- Afro - black hairstyle - [Thanks to Ed from
- A Gas - Having a lot of fun.
- All Show and No Go - Pretty car. Nice wheels and so forth.
Looks good put has no go power.
- Ape: Used with verbs gone or went. (i.e. "When I came home an
hour late my parents went ape.)
- BA - Could mean Bare All or Bare Ass.
- Bad - Awesome
- Bad Ass - Tough guy
- Bag - Meant to steal. Who bagged my wallet? Also "what's your
bag?", which meant "What's your problem?"
- Ball - To Party as in Little Richard's song "Good Golly Miss
Molly, you sure like to ball." Also meant to have intercourse.
- Beat Feet - Leave the area quickly.
- Bird - middle finger or aircraft
- Birth Control Seats - Referred to cars with bucket
- Bitchin' - Good, great, or awesome
- Blast - Had a great time like "I had a blast at the
- Blew the doors off- easily beat the other car in a drag
race [Thanks to Carolyn Evans of Mayfield, Kentucky]
- Blitzed - Drunk
- Book - Leave the scene
- Bookin' - Going real fast
- Boss - Cool or fantastic - The new album I just bought is
- Bread - Money
- Bread 'n Butter - when two folks were walkin 'n down the street
and were seperated by a pole, tree, parkin meter, etc. [Thanks to Thumpa of
- Brew - Beer
- Brody or Brody Out - To skid half a circle with your brakes
- Bug Out - Leave the premises
- Bum a Smoke - Borrow a cigarette from another
person [Thanks to Leslie Hardman, Orient, Ohio]
- Bummed Out - Depressed
- Burn Rubber - Squeal out with your tires spinning and leaving
rubber on the asphalt.
- Candyass - A Wimp or uncool thing or person.
- Cat- Guy
- Catch some Z's - Go to
sleep [thanks to Gloria Damrod of Sebring, Ohio]
- Cherry - Pristine or mint condition. That car is
- Chick - girl or woman
- Chicken (To Play) - Two cars drive head on towards each other
and the first to pull away is a coward.
- Chinese Firedrill - A Car is stopped at a red light and all
occupants of the car get out of the car and run around it and get back in the
car while holding up traffic.
- Church Key - Before pop top cans, there were openers that were
designed to puncture the beer can to drink from it.
- Chrome Dome - Bald
Man [thanks to Gloria Damrod of Sebring, Ohio]
- Clean - Exceptional looking i.e.
That's a clean looking Chevy [Thanks to Leslie Hardman, Orient,
- Cool - Nice
- Cool Head - Nice guy
- Cool Pipes - Mellow sounding
exhaust system [Thanks to Glen Teason from Texas]
- Cop a Feel -
Touching a girl's no touch zone pretending it was accidental.
- Cotties - Unkind remark, As in
"Stay away she's got cooties" (bugs) [Thanks to
Glen Teason from Texas]
- Crash - go to bed / sleep [thanks
to Gregg Stotesbery Tecumseh, MO]
- Cruising - Driving up and down the strip, street or town
looking for members of the opposite sex.
- Cutout - leave the scene or area (also see
Split) [Thanks to Slolne from NY]
- D.A. - Guy hair style. Combed like
a duck's ass [Thanks to Glen Teason from Texas]
- Decked Out - All Dressed Up
- Dibs - Used with the word got. "I got
dibs on that seat." Meaning you own it.
- Dig - Do you understand?
- Ditz - An idiot
- Don't Flip Your Wig - In other words don't go
- Don't Have A Cow - (See above)
- Don't Sweat It - Don't let it bother you.
- [COMMENT><] - undercut all levels of
low humanity or crap [thanks to Joel of Richmond VA]
- Drag - Race for a short distance. Also means dull. Also, a puff
from a cigarette.
- Drop a Dime - use the pay
phone [thanks to Gloria Damrod of Sebring, Ohio]
- Dude - A geek
- Fab - Fantastic
- Fag - A cigarette [Thanks to
Leslie Hardman, Orient, Ohio)
- Far-out - awesome [thanks to Gregg Stotesbery Tecumseh, MO] Also
see outta sight
- Fine as Wine - Good-looking - as
The guy or girl is "fine as wine" [Thanks to Leslie Hardman, Orient,
- Fink - Tattletale
- Five Finger Discount - Anything acquired by
- Flake - A useless person
- Flip Flops - Thongs that you wore on your
- Floor Box - floor mounted
transmission shifter [Thanks to Glen Teason from Texas]
- Flower Child - A Hippie
- Foam Domes - padded
bras [thanks to Gloria Damrod of Sebring, Ohio]
- Four on the Floor - See Floor Box
[Thanks to Glen Teason from Texas]
- Fox - An outstanding looking chick -
also Foxy Lady (also see "Stone Fox")
- Freakin' Out - getting excited or
a panic attack [thanks to Gloria Damrod of Sebring, Ohio]
- Fuzz - The Police
- Give me Some Sugar - Give me a
kiss - [Thanks to Charlotte Hyatt, Virginia]
- Go All The Way - Have Sex
- Going Steady - Dating only one person
- Groovy - Nice or neat marvelous also Goovin'
- Glasspacks - Mufflers lined with fiberglass to muffle the
sound. The shorter the muffler the louder the sound.
- Gum Ball Machine - the old fashion
lights on a police cruiser [thanks to Gloria Damron of Sebring,
- Hacked or Hacked Off - Mad or teed off.
- Hairy - Out of control
- Hang Loose - Take it easy
- Hauls Ass - A car really moves. "Tom's Chevy sure hauls
- Head - someone who used drugs
[thanks to Phillip Millenbah]
- Heavy - deep, needing a
lot of thought and contemplation. [thanks to Ed Hodgkins of Greensboro,
- Hickey - See Love
- Hip - Very Cool
- Hodad - a non-surfer, just hangs around the
- Hopped up - Souped up like a car
- Hunk - What a girl calls a good looking guy
- Kissup - Teacher's Pet or person that will do anything to
please another person in authority.
- Later - Goodbye
- Lay A Patch - Burn rubber with car wheels as you
- Lay It On Me - Tell me or speak your piece
- "Let's hat up" - generally used in the military. Since you had
to wear a hat while in uniform while outside so when leaving a building you would say "lets hat up."
[Thanks to T. Wertz from Salt Lake City for sending that one in. I remember that
- Lid -[COMMENT> a measur]
- Loaded - Intoxicated or drunk
- Love Bite - Also known as a hickey - Red mark on a person made
by suction of a kiss by lips and tongue. [Thanks to Leslie Hardman, Orient,
- Luggage - Heavy burden as in
"That's some luggage your are carring. Bags under the eyes from lack of sleep [Thanks
to Charlotte Hyatt,
- Make Out - Kissing
- Meanwhile Back At The Ranch - It was used to get the
storyteller back on track to the story he was telling. In other words, get to the point. It was meant to keep
it short. Phrase came from serial westerns.
- Midnight Auto Supply - Auto parts stolen
- Mill. Engine - As in, "What kind
of mill you running in that thing?" [Thanks to Glen Teason from
- Moo Juice - milk [thanks to Gloria Damrod of Sebring, Ohio]
- Moon - To drop your pants and show your bare
- Mosquito Fogger - car burning
oil [thanks to Carol of Sanford Manitoba]
- Neato - Sharp
- Old Lady or Old Man - Referred to Mom and Dad [Now a days may
refer to wife of husband]
- On the Rag - in a foul mood [thanks to Greg Stotesberry, Tecumseh Mo]
- Open Pipes - Loud car without
mufflers. "Hey man, sounds like you're running open pipes" [Thanks to Glen
Teason from Texas]
- Outta Sight or Out of
Sight - awesome [Thanks to Johnny
Clavin from New Orleans] Also see Far
- Pad - place you
live [Thanks to Susan Schmitt from Rock Hall,
- Padiddle - A car with only one
headlight working. [thanks to Gloria Damrod from Sebring,
Ohio] Also see below.
- Padink - A car with only one
headlight working. [Thanks to Carol Creeden, Indiana]
- Panties in a Twist - Don't get
upset [Thanks to Charlotte Hyatt,
- Passion Pit - Drive-in Movie
- Pedal Pushers - calf high pants worn by girls called
today "capris" [thanks to Carol Ann-Cella-Kirner West Caldwell, NJ]
- Peel Out - Burn or leave rubber with your car
- Pig - Cop or a Promiscuous Girl
- Pig Out - Overeat
- Pink Slip - car title or
firing or laid off notice from a job [submitted by Susan Schmitt from Rock
- Pits, the worst, nasty, bad, awful, meaningless (i.e. "this
place is the pits") [Thanks to Thumpa Clift, Sarasota, Florida]'
- Pot - Marijuana
- Pound - To beat up somebody i.e. "I'm gonna pound
you." [Thanks to Jan Johnston of Plymouth, Michigan for this
- Queer - Something to be considered
dorky or dumb, as in: Those shoes are so queer! Also, a derogatory slang word for a homosexual
person. [Thanks to Leslie Hardman, Orient, Ohio)
- Rap - to
talk [thanks to Mary Klett from Florida for this one]
- Rave On - Please keep it going
- [Thanks to Andrea Fox from North Carolina]
- Retard - A really socially inept,
dorky person (insensitive word to use today) [Thanks to Leslie Hardman,
- Ride - car, truck, or motorcycle [thanks to Greg Stotesberry, Tecumseh Mo]
- Right On - exactly or I second
that. [Thanks to Nina Gilberti from Philadelphia]
- Score - Going all the way with a girl
- Shades - Sunglasses
- Sharp - Real Good
Looking [Thanks to Leslie Hardman, Orient, Ohio]
- Shine me on - when someone
was ignoring or trying not to notice your presence. For
instance: Why were you shining me on yesterday? [Thanks to Laura Nestor of California]
- Shotgun - Passenger seat in the front seat of a car next to the
door. The place of honor. You had to call out "shotgun" first to win the honor. Once you vacate the car the
honor is once again up for grabs.
- Skag - An ugly girl
- Skank - See Skag
- Skirt - A girl
- Skuzz - Low down, disgusting person also used as Skuzz
bucket which could mean an ugly car as well.
- Slam Book
- a pass around
book filled with questions to answer on your fellow classmates. [Thanks to
Jan Johnston of Plymouth, Michigan]
- Slug Bug/Safety Pin
- If you see someone with a
Volkswagon beetle you yell out Slug Bug. But if the person you intend to hit yells Safety pin, you can't hit
them. [Lindalee Stuckey,
- Slut - very promiscuous
- leave the scene or area (Also
see Cutout) [Thanks to Slolne from
- Solid - I got it
or I'm with you [Thanks to Nina
Gilberti from Philadelphia]
- Square - Somebody not
- Stacked - A girl well endowed or
Stoned - High on
pot [thanks to Gregg Stotesbery
Stone Fox - Extremely
beautiful girl [thanks to Cindy from South Carolina]
Stood up - No show on a
- Stuck Up - Conceited
- Submarine Races - Parking next to a water shore to wait for the
submarine races to which of course was only an excuse to park and make out.
For your information there were no such thing as a submarine race.
- Swapping Spit - French Kissing to the maximum
- Sweat Hog - Fat Chick or Fat Guy
- Teeny Bopper - Thought of as a
boring teenager or very young teenager [thanks to Phillip Millenbah]
- The Bird - The Middle Finger
- Threads - clothes [thanks to Mary Klett from Florida for this
Toke - taking a puff on a
joint [thanks to Gregg Stotesbery
- Tough or Tuff - Great looking or cherry "She sure is a tough
- Toys in the attic or she's
got toys - a young
woman too immature or naive for her age [thanks to Ed Robinson of Denver,
- Trippin' - a high unusual
experience like high on drugs
Twitchin - Like Bitchin and
means the same thing. [thanks to Gregg Stotesbery Tecumseh,
- Wedgie - When somebody pulls your underwear up from the back
and ends in the crack. Some of today's underwear are made for that purpose; they call them
- Weed - marijuana [thanks to
Daniela from El Paso, TX]
- Wiz, Take a - Urinate
- Woody - An erection
- Zits - Pimples